AAAAAAGH

> I thought you read Mike Browns article? Anyway, try this:
>   http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

I did, but it probably didn't sink in. I read this article as well and the
lightbulb went off: Internet Explorer is on "encoding: auto-select" which
defaults to ISO 8859-1 with or without <metatag content-type UTF-8> in the
page header. Same goes for Opera.
I've been looking the options over and over to set the encoding when all the
time it was just a menu setting (for those interested: view, encoding  for
both IE and Opera). Once I switched that to UTF-8, my page looked as
expected again.

Now all I have to figure out is how to tell Internet Explorer a UTF-8 page
is on the way, since most browser users will have the encoding set to auto.

Thanks for this very interesting article.

And you and all the others for their help in figuring this out (or rather:
getting the fog cleared in my head :-)).

Bye, Helma