I see two problem.

* This will not solve the problem in Mozilla.  Even with
  properly declared doctype and a valid document, Mozilla
  will render <textarea/> incorrectly.  Its a bug in Mozilla.  I
  didn't check to see if its in Mozilla's bug database.

Using this technique, the textarea does render properly on Firefox 0.8 *only* when the pages are served with the "application/xhtml+xml" content type. As soon as I changed the content type to "text/html", I got the incorrectly rendered textarea. This is the test document I'm using:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
<head>
<title>title</title>
</head>
<form action="">
<textarea name="ta" rows="10" cols="10" />
</form>

And the HTTP headers:

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:06:47 GMT
Server: Apache Coyote/1.0

* I've run into a problem with the cocoon serializer not
  respecting content type UTF-8.  I've only been able to get
  ISO Latin to work.

I noticed this as well. To help deal with this, I added the charset to the mime type on the serializer:

mime-type="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8"

cheers,
-steve