I have no idea ... ;-)
Basically, my problem was solved with a workaround, as described.

I created my database (again) with the latin1 encoding.
When I ask my data with dburl ...?charSet=UTF8, I now get the correct stuff back
I only got this to work with the jdbc2 driver from 7.2 (postgresql)

I have it working, but I have no clue why.
Anyway, I saw some more mails from the sqltransformer (using byte[] as return)

I still think this is a bug ....
Just don't know where ;)