Well, a template is normally thought of something where you
have a layout and just "fill in the holes" with data created
somewhere else, vs a generator whose assignment it is to
do the data generation in the first place....

I did try to make this distinction clear in the rest of the message
(which you have snipped off, below)

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 14:22, Derek Hohls wrote:
> An April 2004 post pointed me to Terence Parr's article on
"Enforcing
> Strict MV Separation in Template Engines".  (see article link at:
> http://www.stringtemplate.org ).  This is a fascinating read and, to
> me, a classic in the field.
>
> What I learnt (amongst other interesting stuff) is that a "true"
> template ONLY provides a view on the data: it should not incorporate
ANY
> logic (apart from the need to understand standard data structures;
refer
> to other templates; and test for the existence of data) and so not
be
> subject to any changes in the underlying model.  This definition
seems
> to differ from the rather loose term used in the Cocoon community;
for
> example, Bruno says "a template is just an easy way to create a
custom
> generator". (ref:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=108317864027176&w=2).

How does that differ exactly?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

believed to be clean.