Bruno

I apologise then, if I misunderstood what you said.

I still do not think that we should use the term "template
generator" in this context.  There are "generators" and there
are "templates" and I don't think their roles should be mixed.

That's why I was arguing for two different "takes" on the current
situation - the "JXGenerator" which sits in the same place that
other generators do (eg XSP) and allows access to, and manipulation
of, the underlying data; and "JXTemplate" which is only about
the layout and "filling in the data".  If you are also saying this
then we are in agreement!

Thanks
Derek

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 08:20, Derek Hohls wrote:
> Well, a template is normally thought of something where you
> have a layout and just "fill in the holes" with data created
> somewhere else, vs a generator whose assignment it is to
> do the data generation in the first place....

The result of processing a template is also data. A template-based
generator provides an easy alternative to writing a custom generator
that would do the equivalent of the template (which would be the only
option if there weren't template-based generators). I don't see how in
this context the definition of the word template would differ from the
definition you have given.

It's no big deal, but you suggested that I was putting another meaning
in the word template then your definition (layout with filling in
holes), but that wasn't the case or certainly not my intention. In
fact
now that I reread my message I was exactly defending that a template
shouldn't do more then that.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

believed to be clean.