New user here, but i've seen knoppix.  comments inline...
-kz

Tony Collen wrote:
Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a working Cocoon/Jetty installed?

I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what they can cram into a single CD. There's even docs about remastering Knoppix to suit your needs [2].

Things to think about:

o No writable disk. This means there would be nowhere to put logs and other stuff. Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?
very much so. the memory requirements are fairly large.

o Speed. Not sure if this would be a factor.
shouldn't be. the initial load might be a bit more, but once loaded, i'm thinking all *should* be well.

o Distributing other software. I'm not sure what Sun has to say about distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine. Acrobat Reader would be another "must" to show off the FOP. SVG viewers are good as well.
this i don't know about

It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a web browser with a running instance of Cocoon. I'm not totally sure how useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.

WDYT?
quite cool indeed.