Thanks Upayavira and Simon for writing.

I don't want to take up too much of people's time on this because I imagine
I'm in a very small minority in wanting a command-line-only build option.

Just as Cocoon can work as the center for all kinds of different web apps
and transformations, it could also, I think, work as a transformation hub
for non-web apps.  Sure, one could use Xerces/Xalan separately, and FOP
separately, and Lucene separately, and POI separately, etc.  But Cocoon
tries to be a one-stop-shopping kind of product, and I think it could be
refactored so that it could more easily be used for lots of non-web apps.
Plus, web developers are not necessarily the same as non-web developers, so
things like permissions and configurations are often different for the two
groups.  (Plus, I get a lot of errors using the command line out of the box,
but I won't bother you all to debug my setup.)

In requesting a cli-only build, I guess I'm really asking for a future
release to have more effort put into improving/streamlining the command-line
functionality of Cocoon.

Tom

Upayavira wrote:

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is quite as simple, or useful, as you
think.

<snip/>

Now, there are some issues with the CLI that could make it easier to
use, and this is where efforts should be put, IMO. For example, there is
something in Cocoon (Deli block, and possibly other stuff) that requires
servlet.jar, but shouldn't. Therefore, it would make sense to put time
into that, so that the CLI runs straight-up without modification, on a
full build of Cocoon.

<snip/>

Let's talk more about what you're trying to achieve, because at the
moment, I'm not sure that it would give you much that you don't have
already.

Regards, Upayavira