Thank you Simon and Jorg for your explanations.

I take it that, for now, the build structure of Cocoon is inextricably
linked to its intended use as a web application.  I'll redirect my
explorations into the areas you've suggested.  (Plus spend some quality time
at the wiki . . . .)

Thanks again,
Tom

Simon Mieth wrote:
<snip/>
There are many other ways to use cocoon in a CLI- or
GUI-environment. Take a look at the anttask or the
CocoonBean.

Best Regards,
Simon

Jorg Heymans wrote:
<snip/>
But still: would it be difficult at all to write an RMI server that
takes cocoon-style requests and return cocoon-style responses? Could
this be done via the cocoon bean or the CLI interface ?

Jorg