Derek,

Test this and check everything is working, before
starting to add in the other steps - one-by-one....

That works perfectly.
The problem comes when the request is not hard-codedlike this

<sql:execute-query xmlns:sql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/2.0">
<sql:query name="themes">
<!-- here comes the SQL statement - yours need to be different -->
SELECT ThemeID, ThemeGo FROM Theme
</sql:query>
</sql:execute-query>

but needs to be generated first .
I can' t get at the right way to deal with generation first, execution then
It looks as if the sql tags were not visible any more once the request has been generated,
i.e. when the text chunk "select ...from..." is there , it can't be processed as a sql request by the tags .

Sorry if this project seems a bit weird...
And a lot of thanks for the time you take to make me more familiar with cocoon!

Matt