Good points, Ralph.

Just one additional thought...

> My past experience has been that the best documentation comes from
> people who like to write and are technical enough that they can read
> small pieces of code and understand it.  Basically, when I have worked
> with technical writers they ask for an "information dump" where the
> developer sends documentation in a very raw form. The writer then takes
> this information and formulates it into something that makes sense. This
> is a very iterative process as the writer frequently has to go back to
> the developer to get information.

Agreed, but when applied to manuals.

IMO, Cocoon needs much more than just a users' manual: it needs educational
material. Also, to address the fundamental problems brought up by Derek
about the difficulty in getting Cocoon to go mainstream, this requires
skills in marketing, PR, project development... Essentially (and please
don't be angry with poor little me...) the whole website has to go.

So, I think that the skill set for this type of work is a little different
from what you mention above.

Cheers,
Dave