Well,

I run Linux on a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory and am at times unhappy with performance. Mostly because I run IntelliJ, Tomcat, Cocoon, Weblogic and a bunch of other apps at the same time. From the info I've seen, your G4 is about equivalent to a 1.6 Ghz P4 so I'm not sure you're going to be a whole lot happier runing in Linux vs Mac OS X.

Personally, I'd never run Java stuff with less that 1GB of memory anymore.

Ralph

Frédéric Moser wrote:

Hi,

I use Cocoon on a G4 800Mhz with 512 of RAM and I got the latest  Mac
OS X and JVM.
Today, I can't stand it  anymore: memory usage, slowness and annoying
things like this:
http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/howto/More-open-files.html . I don't
think Java IDE integrate very well with Mac OS X too.
(I still like Apple's products but not for Java development)

So my question is: Does anyone have experience of using Cocoon on Linux PPC with the
IBM's JDK (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/)?

Thanks,

Frédéric Moser