Hi,

> I think you are mixing paradigms
This is (probably) the case.

> Now in terms of "layers" or tiers you typically have: ...
This explanation was very, very helpful. Makes things a lot clearer to me. (And I somehow can stick to my layer-architecture that I'm already writing about in my work for university.)

Thanks
Jonny

Your

Ralph Goers wrote:

I think you are mixing paradigms.

In MVC terms (Model - View - Controller) you have:
Model: Business logic which includes the domain model (the data layer is simply the persistent representation of your domain model) View: The pipelines defined in your sitemap that take whatever data is fed to it and converts the data into something an end user can view
Controller:  There are a couple of methods:
a) Pipelines which call actions and then invoke other pipelines to render the view based upon the results of the actions. b) Pipelines that call flow. The flow then calls the appropriate business logic methods and passes the data on to pipelines which generate the view.

Now in terms of "layers" or tiers you typically have:
1. Presentation tier - consists of Controller and View. Calls are made to the business tier so whatever "client-side" business methods that are required must be available. 2. Business tier - contains the actual business methods and the domain objects. While, in my opinion, this should always be logically separate from the presentation tier it can be physically combined into the same container as the presentation tier if that is warranted.
3. Data tier - basically, your data management system.

Note that "controller" is not a layer or a tier. Rather it is part of the MVC design pattern.

Ralph

Johannes Becker wrote:

Hi,

this might not be the right list, but since it involves cocoon, maybe someone could answer my question.

My application is similar to the CHS (Cocoon Hibernate Spring)-Petstore from Ugo. In university we learned about the n-tier architecture. So now I'm trying to assign the different technologies, etc. to the layers.

Data layer: Hibernate for persistenzce, ..
Business Layer: domain model, ...
Control Layer: ?????
Presentation Layer: Views, Cocoon Flow (for navigating through the view)

But which technology is responsible for the contol layeer? Is there actually a control layer?

Ugo wrote in his presentation at the ApacheCon about a service layer. Which layer (from the ones above) does this match?

Thanks
Jonny