Michael Wirz wrote:

Have you compared the performance with FOP and/or XEP engine? What is
the (estimated) gain?

Concerning performance -- we had tested fop 0.20.4 against antennahouse
xslformatter v3 when we
decided to switch to xsl formatter. I do not remember the effective
performance gain but it has been
obvious enough to make us switch (average pdf is about ten pages holding
tables and pictures in
our services).  We will have a close look on this topic right now again...

I asked because the system-call requires an additional XML serialization and parsing stage. FOP is receiving the SAX events directly giving it a little step ahead.

Ever looked into XEP? It is very fast as well and has excellent XSL-FO support. Not for free though. One benefit though is that it is written in Java and thus integrates with Cocoon very naturally. I believe RenderX supplies a Cocoon Serializer to its customers for 'free'.

Regards,
Geert