Thanks for the replies.
The problem is that I then have use the xml in a pipeline that starts
with an xquery generator (this is the pipeline I call from the
flowscript):
     <map:generate src="xq/discuss.xq" type="xquery">
     <map:parameter name="cleanedxml" value="{flow-attribute:cleanxml}"/>

Therefore, I have to send the xml as a parameter. I could not figure
out how to do that with the stream generator either. Maybe that is
easy?

The process starts with a matcher that calls the flowscript:
                        <map:match pattern="store_filesystem_file">
                                <map:call function="cleanWordHtml">
                                       <map:parameter name="base"
value="{request-param:base}"/>
                                       <map:parameter name="page"
value="{request-param:url}"/>

                                </map:call>
                        </map:match>

(I would *also* like to read wordml, but I'll deal with that later)

Regards
Hans