Thanks for the replies.
The problem is that I then have use the xml in a pipeline that starts
with an xquery generator (this is the pipeline I call from the
flowscript):
     <map:generate src="xq/discuss.xq" type="xquery">
     <map:parameter name="cleanedxml" value="{flow-attribute:cleanxml}"/>

How is the xquery using the xml in the parameter? Is it an idea to have another pipe that *generates* the discuss.xq which has your cleanedxml fragment included somewhere?

Cheers,
Geert