Yes, de-serializing with util:eval works in some cases. However, it
does not work for documents that contain < or > in the text contents,
because that will then be de-serialized as well. This will cause an
error.
For instance, the XHTML:

will be converted to (when it is all converted to a string.):
&lt;p&gt; &lt;!-- Add here other XML:DB compliant databases' drivers
--&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

Then, if I de-serialize that, I will get:

And that is is not good at all. So the problem remains....

Regards
Hans