Thanks to Jean-Baptiste on the dev list...

OK, now I realise what I missed (bangs head on monitor!)

The datasource is called as follows from flow:

function getIndDB() {
  if (indDatabase == null) {
    this.indDatabase = new IndDB("inddb"); //get from the cocoon.xconf file
  }
  return indDatabase;
}

and in the  cocoon.xconf file I have:

    <jdbc name="inddb_user"> <!-- should match name in flow -->
      <pool-controller min="5" max="50"/>
      <auto-commit>true</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/indicators</dburl>
      <user>user</user>
      <password>password</password>
     </jdbc>

The problem was that on my development machine
I *also* had an entry:

    <jdbc name="inddb">
      <pool-controller min="5" max="50"/>
      <auto-commit>true</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/indicators</dburl>
      <user>user</user>
      <password>password</password>
     </jdbc>

So the development machine worked (two datasources)
but the target machine did not (wrong datasource).

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2006/01/30 01:36 PM >>>
So far no helpful ideas on this problem...

I really need help interpreting what the error means,
and what the likely cause could be?

The best idea seems to be:
"Key-to-component mappings are generally  defined in cocoon.xconf."

What key-to-component mapping is likely to be on my
development PC but not be on the server, and therefore
contributing to the problem?

Thanks
Derek

PS Please note that I can read data from my target
datasource with SQLTransformer; its just flow that seems
problematic...

Jason Johnston wrote:
> Derek Hohls wrote:
>
>> I have an app that works fine on a development machine
>> (Cocoon 2.1.5, WindowsXP, Tomcat 4.1.x, JDK 1.4.x)
>>
>> But when I upload it and try and run it on the server:
>> (Cocoon 2.1.5, UNIX, Tomcat 4.1.x, JDK 1.4.x)
>>
>> I get the error:
>>
>> ERROR   (2006-01-23) 11:38.25:783   [sitemap.handled-errors]
>> (/cocoon215/inddb/db/editUser.do) Thread-20/PipelineNode:
>> "resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/_javascript_/Database.js",
>> line 33: uncaught _javascript_ exception: at editUser
>> (file:/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/cocoon215/inddb/script/user.js,
>> Line 46)
>> at
>> (file:/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/cocoon215/inddb/script/user.js,
>> Line 6)
>> at
>> (resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/_javascript_/Database.js,
>> Line 33):
>> org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: datasources:
>> ComponentSelector could not find the component for hint [inddb] (key
>> [inddb])
>> (Key='org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.DataSourceComponentSelector/inddb')
>>

>> How to interpret the "ComponentSelector could not find the component"
>> error message - what is the software looking for??
>

> This means it is trying to look up the Avalon component for that key,
> and failing for some reason.  Key-to-component mappings are generally
> defined in cocoon.xconf.
>

>> (I am also not sure where the :
>> org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/_javascript_/Database.js
>> file is located... its not under WEB-INF/classes/... ?)
>

> Doing a quick search it looks like Database.js is part of the Petstore
> sample block:
> /src/blocks/petstore/trunk/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/_javascript_/Database.js
>

> Is your application perhaps relying on this file for some reason, but
> the Petstore block didn't get built in the version on your server?

Bah, nevermind that, of course the file is there if the error is
occurring within it. ;-)

My guess now is that your datasource configuration from cocoon.xconf did
not get copied over to the server.

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions