Andrew Madu wrote:
Hi Jason,
many thanks for your reply. I am now getting the following error message:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.apache.cocoon.components.serializers.encoding.CharsetFactory

I checked my local.blocks (cocoon 2.1.10) file and the serializers block has been set to:

include.block.serializers=true

I checked my WEB-INF\lib directory and the cocoon-serializers-block.jar file exists. What is the issue here?

There should also be a cocoon-serializers-charsets-0.2.jar file, is that there?

--
Regards

Andrew

    <http://www.beyarecords.com>
     > <http://www.beyarecords.com>. I have changed my ajax-request
    block to
     > xhtml. On clicking the submit button you will see that the whole page
     > reloads!
     >
     > I am using the very latest version of cocoon on winXP/SP2.

    Thanks for making that available, it helps a lot.

    The problem is that all the script tags are being collapsed:

    <script ... />
    instead of
    <script ...></script>

    Browsers don't handle this well, and end up not loading a bunch of the
    scripts, causing the errors you see.

    The XHTMLSerializer in the 'serializers' block contains special logic to
    prevent collapsing the script elements.  Unfortunately you're not using
    that, you are using the default xhtml serializer which really just uses
    XMLSerializer (notice the
    src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer" in its definition).

    You should switch to the one in the serializers block, like so:

    <map:serializer name="xhtml"
    src="org.apache.cocoon.components.serializers.XHTMLSerializer"
    mime-type="text/html">
        <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
        <doctype-default>strict</doctype-default>
    </map:serializer>

    More details on its configuration:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/components/serializers/XHTMLSerializer.html

<http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/components/serializers/XHTMLSerializer.html>

    That should clear up your issues.
    --Jason

    BTW I also noticed your page's root element is <page> rather than

     > --
     > Regards
     >
     > Andrew
     >
     > On 10/03/07, *Andrew Madu* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     > <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> wrote:
     >
     >     Hi Jason,
     >     sorry for the delay. I am using the
     >

     >         Let's clarify... which XHTML serializer are you using?  The
     >         "built-in"
     >         one, or the one in the serializers block?
     >

     >     I am using the XHTML serializer in the serializers block:
     >
     >     <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.xhtml "
     >     mime-type="text/html" name="xhtml" pool-max="${
     >     xhtml-serializer.pool-max}"
     >     src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
     >           <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
    Strict//EN</doctype-public>
     >           <doctype-system>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd</doctype-system>
     >           <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding>
     >           <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
     >         </map:serializer>
     >
     >     And here is my ajax-request block:
     >
     >                 <map:match pattern="**viewform-*.xml">
     >                     <map:generate type="newjx" src="jx/{2}.jx"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="xslt-saxon"
    src="style/{2}.xsl"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="browser-update"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="i18n">
     >                       <map:parameter name="locale" value="en-US"/>
     >                     </map:transform>
     >                     <map:transform src="template-style/forms-
     >     samples-styling.xsl"/>
     >                     <map:transform type="i18n">
     >                       <map:parameter name="locale" value="en-US"/>
     >                     </map:transform>
     >                     <map:select type="ajax-request">
     >                       <map:when test="true">
     >                         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
     >                       </map:when>
     >                       <map:otherwise>
     >                         <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
     >                       </map:otherwise>
     >                     </map:select>
     >                 </map:match>
     >

     >     What in-built xhtml serializer do you refer to?
     >
     >     --
     >     Regards
     >
     >     Andrew

    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>