Joerg Heinicke wrote:
On 22.05.2007 13:55, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

Compared with JSF and Struts Cocoon is very different. This means that you have to learn to think in Cocoon (btw, the same is true for frameworks like Tapestry or Wicket). Without good documentation it is very difficult to learn this way of thinking and hence my reasoning that we need better docs.

The annoying in the original post [1] is that the main reason for his frustration seems to be Maven and not necessarily Cocoon itself.

yes, Maven 2 is IMHO an even more complex beast than Cocoon (and I mean 2.1 here!). Since I've been involved in two big projects (Cocoon 2.2 and one commercial project) that migrated to Maven 2, I've learnt to appreciate the power of Maven 2 but I remember how difficult it was to learn how Maven 2 works and how to solve real-world problems.

How can we help our upcoming 2.2 users? IMO there are two approaches which should be followed in parallel:

 1) make the usage of Maven 2 as simple as possible
    - the tutorials take this into account
    - we provide different archetypes

 2) offer an alternative to Maven 2

Option one is clear and is nearly finsihed. My question is regarding to option 2: What do you expect, when you download Cocoon 2.2 in order to get your new Cocoon 2.2 project started?

Keep in mind that Cocoon 2.2 is split into a core and several blocks (template, forms, etc.). All of them are separate release artifacts and in contrast to Cocoon 2.1 they can and will be shipped as binaries again. (Note that I'm not talking about samples, that's something different.)

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc