Thanks for the reply:

On 6 Jun 2007, at 14:10, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

Stephen Winnall wrote:
Has anyone given any thought to a re-design of Cocoon's sitemaps in one of the new versions of Cocoon? I can see scope for improvement in the following areas:
1) modularisation

Cocoon 2.2 uses the servlet-service framework. See http:// cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g2/g1/1291.html

That looks interesting, in particular the use of Maven. I find no mention of OSGI in this context, however. Is this no longer a course being pursued in the Cocoon project?

3) definition of a sitemap schema

http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/sitemap/cocoon-sitemap-1.0.xsd

4) requirement that sitemaps validate against that schema (would make it easier to write sitemap tools)

validation is off by default but can be activated, again only in Cocoon 2.2

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was impossible to write a complete XML schema for the current version of the sitemap. I thought all attempts hitherto were only approximations. One of the major problems is that any extensions a user writes (actions, transformations, etc.) might introduce new elements and attributes into the sitemap which the schema cannot know about a priori. I was looking for a solution where any valid sitemap could be validated against the schema, which seems to me to imply a change in the structure of sitemaps.

Would it be right to say that the intention of this XML schema is only to support a simple subset of all possible current Cocoon sitemaps? Can one then provide the missing functionality by writing one's own blocks using the servlet-service framework?

Steve