Hi,

In the latest 2.1 branch code you can set

<map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.xml" mime-type="text/html;
charset=UTF-8" name="xhtml"
src="org.apache.cocoon.components.serializers.XHTMLSerializer">
        <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
        <doctype-default>strict</doctype-default>
        <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
        <indent>no</indent>
      </map:serializer>

The doctype will be strict then.