Kamal pisze:
Hi,
I am following up on an mail message I made a while back. Specifically, about support for jx:element tag.

Last I left it, the question was put to the Dev team as to whether we can actually do this (ie there are no objections to the functionality). Based on this post [1], I take it there are none. I would really like this functionality, so I have two questions,

Yep, you are right. I don't have an idea why I thought it was a problematic thing to implement. Nevertheless, having something like <jx:element/> would be handy.

1. Is anyone working on this?

Don't think so. Anyway, I can help since I have quite good understanding of
Template block.

2. If not, is possible to point me in the right direction so that I can make this a reality?

If there is no fundamental obstacle this should be very easy to implement. Basically, you need to checkout cocoon-template-impl[1] module and implement your own template instruction. Have a look at their listing[2]. You should implement something similar to the jx:out[3] instruction. The name of element should be obtained from compiled expression similar why jx:out does it.

I have a lot of functionality that relies on the xsp:element tag, and there doesn't seem to be anything analogous in the JXTemplate world, which makes moving away from XSPs very difficult (yes, I know I can use the xmlize, but I would still have to generate the XML in the first place, which could get messy in flowscript). Also, I have a bunch of dynamic forms that would probably simplify (a little) with this functionality.

+1.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to ask. Preferably on dev@ list since this is purely dev discussion.

[1]
http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-template/cocoon-template-impl/
[2] http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-template/cocoon-template-impl/src/main/resources/org/apache/cocoon/template/template-instructions.xml?view=markup [3] http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-template/cocoon-template-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/template/instruction/Out.java?view=markup

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski