I don't use SVGSerializer, but I see that it is in Batik block now.

Go to cocoon website, Blocks 2.2/Batik/Project Documentation/Project Reports/JavaDocs to see java docs.

I think that you have to add Batik into your pom file.

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
      <artifactId>cocoon-batik-impl</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.0</version>
    </dependency>

Group/version info can be found in Blocks 2.2/Batik/Project Documentation/Project Information/Project Summary

Barbara