Horray! I got it working all the way to working in Tomcat.
Thank you very much indeed for your advice.
I did have to tweak it slightly (as described below) but I expect to
sort that out.

It seems quite hard to test things that depend on the state of your local
maven repository, if they do, because that can change 'behind your back'
as it were.

Once I get things going, I'll start again afresh with an empty repository, just to
make certain the instructions will work 'out of the box'.

Barbara Slupik wrote:
5. Add myBlock (all your blocks) to cocoon-webapp pom file

<snip>

6. Test cocoon-webapp in maven/jetty

cd /.../cocoon-2.2.0/cocoon-webapp
mvn jetty:run

The above (mvn jetty:run) did not work first time.

Quite possibly it was a typo in a pom file, but anyway it did work when
I did 'mvn compile' and 'mvn:package' first; maven
downloaded more stuff before running the commands.

http://localhost:8888/myBlock/

7. Package cocoon-webapp. This will create cocoon-webapp-1.0.war file