Hi Grzegorz,

Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
Hi Cocooners,

I justed wanted to let you know that thanks to David's Legg effort we have switched to the new feature that Maven Archetype plug-in brings.

This switch is reflected in our documentation when blocks/webapp is being created using the archetype. You can see published changes here:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html

Even if this is a small change I would like to ask you opinion about it. I ask those people that have tried previous way of block/webapp creation so you can compare your experience.

Does new way of using archetypes brings some benefit in your opinion?

Another change worth mentioning is support for publishing Screencasts in our documentation system. That means, you can easily add screencasts and sample of this functionality can be seen here:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1448_1_1.html

BTW. This screencasts uses old way of using archetypes. It would be nice if someone could record something similar but with improvements to our tutorials taken into account so newcommers are not confused by the difference.

Anyone interested?

PS. I finally have some time to take care of our documentation so you will see more updates and I plan to prepare some list of tasks that people willing to help could take.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Yes, I would like to help with Tutorials and Screencasts, if
you think the following suggestions are worthwhile.

-----------------

My role would be as a representative of the non-java-speaking
sector of the Cocoon community. In my opinion, Cocoon should be
the framework of choice for anyone who is interested in a
'separation of concerns'.

My experience with the current and early tutorials is not all
positive, and I have not quite got everything working even yet.
So if I made a screencast this week, it would show things as
they are on my system, warts and all.

I hope you would welcome such a screencast of things
'not quite working' in a positive light as constructive
criticism, and as work in progress rather than the final
edition.

Actually I could make two screencasts. The first would follow
the 'official' tutorial, and the second my own slight
variation of it. I have not yet decided on a name for it:
'TEAM', 'TEAMS' or 'STEAM' come to mind as acronyms, because
it will (eventually) serve my personal preferences, namely,
+ Subversion
+ Tomcat
+ Eclipse
+ Archetypes
+ Maven

As for tutorials, I would be happy to write one that goes at
a slower pace than the current one, with an intended readership
who have not even heard of Maven, Eclipse or Subversion.

------------------

Using the the current tutorial, I still have not persuaded the 'Reloading
Classloader' to work. As it happens, the page about that also has
a typo or two:

Using the Reloading Classloader
Step 3: Invoke the plugin

found at:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/maven-plugin/1.0/1297_1_1.html

**** Typo **** a sentence was recast, but both versions remain: *****

If you want to avoid this additional step, you can invoke it automatically, e.g. by If you want to invoke it automatically, add it to the execution section of your plugin definition, e.g.

Bye for now,

Ken.