On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM, "DAVIGNON Andre - CETE
NP/DIODé/PANDOC" <andre.davig...@developpement-durable.gouv.fr> wrote:
> ...I have a lot of Cocoon apps with many XSP and Cocoon 2.2 does
> not support XSP. I don't know what to do with this apps in the future when
> 2.1 is no longer supported....

2.1 can stay supported as long as people support it ;-)

Former colleagues of mine are still maintaining 2.1 apps that I
created a few years ago, without any problems, and I'm sure many
people are doing the same. If we had a need to fix something in it,
we'd do it - and I encourage all 2.1 users to do the same, committers
can fix things directly and contributors can submit patches. Nobody
said 2.1 is dead, it is clearly (IMHO) in maintenance mode.

Unlike commercial software, there's no requirement for anyone to move
to 2.2, 3.0 or anything if you're happy with 2.1 - or prepared to
contribute to fixing it where needed. Even if the Apache Cocoon
project decided to freeze the 2.1 branch (which I would strongly
oppose), the Apache License allows 2.1 users to grab the code and
start maintaining it elsewhere.

As the focus has shifted to 2.2 and 3.x, what you should not expect is
people adding new features to 2.1...but what new features would you
need anyway? I think 2.1 is stable both in terms of working reliably
and it terms of providing a well defined set of useful features.

-Bertrand