From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziege...@apache.org]
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Sent: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 03:40:14 -0300
Subject: Re: XSLT is Dead ?!

Derek Hohls wrote:
  > At least, according to this article:
  >
  > http://java.dzone.com/news/death-xslt-web-frameworks
  >
  > Maybe some of the developers, or other power users here,
  > would like to comment at this blog - I see Cocoon also gets
  > a "dig in the ribs" ...

  Without commenting on this specific article, my only general
  comment is that you'll find articles for specific technologies/projects
  and you'll find as many articles against these (I guess the most
  famous topic in our area is Maven). Who's is wrong and who's right?
  Or more important: is there such an easy answer? I definitly doubt this.
  There isn't such a thing as the one programming language that rules the
  world or the one framework that makes everyone happy and is the golden
  hammer.

  Everyone is free to use what he thinks works best for him.

  Ok, coming back to the original topic :) Looking at the past 9 years
  where I've been using Cocoon and done a lot of projects with Cocoon and
  XSLT, I think it was a great tool by the time. And XSLT helped a lot in
  getting up to speed (once you managed the high entrance barrier to
  Cocoon itself). There are a lot of use cases still today for XSLT when
  it comes to create web sites. It really helps to separate the content
  from the layout. But in the end that's a matter how you design your
  application. I see a lot of people using other frameworks than Cocoon
  and pass the output from that framework to XSLT after the framework has
  rendered the content. So I don't think that XSLT itself is dead. The
  attraction of Cocoon as a separate framework has decreased, but that's
  definitly not due to XSLT.

  Carsten
  --
  Carsten Ziegeler