Antonio Gallardo wrote:
hi Derek,

Comparing XSLT with JSP is like comparing pears and apples. XSLT is
quite useful for some tasks and weak in others. The same apply for JSP.
We still use XSLT even if you have JSP at hand. In cocoon particular
wolrd, perhaps he should compare JSP with XSP.

I did not read the whole article, but looks the author forgot there is a
XSLT 2.0. Anyway, who cares? ;)

About freemaker, I guess there are some threads about it in our mail
archive [1].

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[1] http://cocoon.markmail.org/search/?q=freemaker

I hardly think 'pears and apples' are a good simile, they are far too similar to one another. Perhaps 'oranges and apples' or even 'sausages and marmalade'.

By the way, sausages and marmalade go very well together.

My main complaint is that XSP is deprecated in Cocoon 2.2, in fact it seems to be sneered-at. For me, it provides just the tiny amount of Java I need - I still don't want to learn the language thoroughly. It comes below both ruby and even
Acrobat javascript for me. Python has always been more useful, and now the
adobe Flex environment looks pretty alluring - in all of these I use XML, and
often it is obtained from a localhost Cocoon pipeline.

Cocoon 2.1.x  - love it
XSLT (2) - love it
XSP - love it
Eclipse, XML, XML-Schema, other XML tools - love 'em all !

Cocoon 2.2 - too much java needed, not backward-compatible enough, (Database connection) a few other grumbles. will re-evaluate it in 12 months or so, but I have already wasted too much time for this year
Cocoon 2.3 - not powerful enough for my needs, last time I looked

Bye for now,
Ken.