Hi Robby,

It sounds to me from your description that what you need is a common or garden CMS (Content Management System) based on a JCR (Java Content Repository) like Apache Jackrabbit [1] ). There are a number of CMS projects built on top of this platform (Hippo CMS7 [2] for example).

Don't bother rolling your own repository when others have done it for you. JCR would also give you versioning capabilities too.

This article [3] will give you an overview of how a JCR works and from it I think you'll see how your XML data (and all the images and other content) can be imported into the repository and indexed and organized and searched. Actually the official JSR 170 [4] specification (I think it is still at version 1.0.1) is surprisingly interesting to read as well; especially where it describes the types of nodes.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
[2] http://wiki.onehippo.org/display/CMS7/Home
[3] http://jtoee.com/jsr-170/the_jcr_primer
[4] http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr170/index.html

So for certain "Filter"-criteria I'll have to get all possible values so
they can pick one and for others I don't need to know anything about the
actual data.

The actual product xml-files are +- 500kb on average and I'm talking
about LOTS of products so I have to consider performance upfront.

SOLR seems good for indexing static html files etc but I don't get the
impression it can offer the necessary functionality for this use case.

Any comments??