Robby,

One more thing about this subject.

You can do all that stuff directly with Cocoon / Lucene with java code only, but Solr offers rich possibilities of index configuration by schema.xml and index can be handled with a HTTP client inside Cocoon through the Solr XML / HTTP API. Or in java code with SolrJ API if you prefer.

André (not David ;-) )

Le 08/09/2009 11:12, > Robby Pelssers (par Internet, dépôt users-return-97980-andre.davignon=developpement-durable.gouv...@cocoon.apache.org) a écrit :
You all convinced me to investigate the SOLR path further ;-)
I already installed SOLR yesterday but I probably did not spent enough
time on playing with it due to lack of time.  That's why I ask the
experts on this mailing list ;-)

David's answer "The facet research funtionality in Solr can give access
to all possible values in the index of your data for a given property so
the user can pick one among them, then find all matching data." was the
missing piece of the puzzle.

Thx a lot guys !!

Robby

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeroen Reijn [mailto:j.re...@onehippo.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 10:45 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: how-to query an xml repository efficiently

Hi Robby,

in this case I even think SOLR would be a great match for this use case.

You can push XML with a http client to SOLR and let SOLR index the information. See the post.jar that comes with the SOLR example. It pushes XML to the solr app and indexes it based on your configuration.

The great thing is that you can even configure all kinds of facets based

on what is stored in such a product file, so you can create a nice facet

view in your webapp.

A couple of years ago I was looking a some Forrest components [1], which

were made for using SOLR from a cocooon point of view. It helps you to perform queries to a SOLR instance from your sitemap and get XML response back.

Regards,

Jeroen

[1]http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrForrest

Robby Pelssers wrote:
Hi jeroen and others who replied to my mail...  Let me further explain
my usecase and existing infrastructure.

My customer stores their product data in xml-files on file system E.g. ${repofolder}/
        products/
                product-1/
                        product-1.xml
                        product-1-image.jpg
                product-2/
                        product-2.xml
                        product-2-image.jpg

This is a simplified representation but as you see there is no concept
of an xml database.

Now let's start with a small fictive example for product-1.xml:
<product>
  <id>xxxx</id>
  <description>grandma's cookies</description>
  <category>food</category>
  <price>2.0</price>
</product>

From a functional point of view they want to be able to search for
products based on some criteria.  So I'll have to build a small
searchform containing:
        - Dropdown with all possible categories
        - textbox to search for part of description
        - price "between/ equal to / greather then / less then" search
functionality

So for certain "Filter"-criteria I'll have to get all possible values
so
they can pick one and for others I don't need to know anything about
the
actual data.

The actual product xml-files are +- 500kb on average and I'm talking
about LOTS of products so I have to consider performance upfront.

SOLR seems good for indexing static html files etc but I don't get the
impression it can offer the necessary functionality for this use case.

Any comments??

Cheers,
Robby