J,

On 9/28/2010 10:09 AM, . . wrote:
> Our original application components were:
>
> NetBSD 3.0.3 with Suse 9.x Linux compatibility layer.
> Sun JDK 1.4.26
> Tomcat 5.0.23
> Cocoon 2.1.6
>
> As part of the upgrade we switched to:
>
> Centos 5.3
> Sun JDK 1.6.21
> Tomcat 5.0.30
> Cocoon 2.1.6

[snip]

> Firstly, if any of our source XML/XSL files use tabs to indent the
> nodes, the outputted source escapes them as &#A9; which it didn't do
> before. This isn't a problem for output to be displayed in a browser but
> we have a number of legacy Flash components which, annoyingly, don't
> recognise this as whitespace and refuses to load causing the Flash
> component to fail.

&#a9 should be a copyright symbol if you're using ASCII.

I suspect that &#a9 is being used instead of a newline (0xa) followed by
a tab (0x9).

My guess is that your JVM's file.encoding system property used to be
something like ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 and now it's been changed to
something that is more exotic, perhaps even mandating 16-bit characters
(though your pages would be horribly jumbled if everything were
interpreted at 16-bit characters).

Check the file.encoding of your JVM in the old, working system relative
to the new, broken one. Also, check to make sure that your XML files
have the "encoding" set in the <?xml?> processing instruction, and that
the encoding actually matches what you used when you wrote the file to
the disk. Finally, check to see if you have BOM characters at the start
of your XML files.

This is likely to solve both of your problems.

NB: Tomcat 5.0 has been retired and really should be replaced. Upgrading
to Tomcat 6.0 shouldn't be too much trouble.

- -chris