J,

On 9/29/2010 1:10 AM, . . wrote:
>> &#a9 should be a copyright symbol if you're using ASCII.
>>
>> I suspect that &#a9 is being used instead of a newline (0xa) followed by
>> a tab (0x9).
>
> Actually it was a typo on my part. It's using 	 :( *oops*

Yeah, that makes a ton of difference. I'm glad it wasn't 0xa9, 'cause
that would have been a real mess. :)

>> [file.encoding] is likely to solve both of your problems.
>
> I wrote a little JSP page to spit out the
> System.getProperty("file.encoding") value and got some surprising
> results. I tried two of the existing machines and got ISO-8859-1 for one
> and ANSI_X3.4-1968 for the other.

ANSI_X3.4-1968, as you probably found out, is essentially basic ASCII,
and ISO-8859-1 is ASCII plus a few other things, so they are compatible.
It's not surprising that these two character sets are both working: if
one works, the other has a good chance of working.

> The application runs fine on both of them. On the new server that too
> is giving out ISO-8859-1.

Interesting.

> That said, we did an experiment last night and copied the entire
> previous Tomcat folder over to the new CentOS server and ran it with Sun
> JDK 1.4.29 - the problem disappeared. When we ran it with JDK 1.5 or 1.6
> the problem manifested itself.
>
> So the problem appears to related to the JDK in some way. Googling I
> came up with this:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1059854/how-do-you-prevent-a-javax-transformer-from-escaping-whitespace
>
> Which makes me wonder if the old Xalan from our previous Tomcat is
> having issues with JDK 1.5 and up. I guess an Xalan upgrade is in order.

Cocoon packages it's own Xalan library, so that shouldn't be the
problem, although I can't remember when Sun started packaging Xalan with
Java. At some point, I think they even removed it. What version of Xalan
are you running? It should be in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory. I
don't think there's been a Xalan update in quite a few years.

Let us know how things turn out.

>> NB: Tomcat 5.0 has been retired and really should be replaced. Upgrading
>> to Tomcat 6.0 shouldn't be too much trouble.
>
> Only issue there is we have to support this legacy application for
> another 12 months and it's a "hand me down" so we have little or no
> source code or documentation. Porting it now would take up more
> time/effort than is financially viable right now :(

Technically speaking, servlet containers are supposed to be backward
compatible. I wouldn't be surprised if, given a review of your <Context>
element for Tomcat (it should go into META-INF/context.xml, now in your
webapp, instead of in conf/server.xml for the server), everything else
works exactly as it did before.

- -chris