I would use a regular pipeline for the authors list, with caching turned
on (so it doesn't run the query every time - check the cocoon docs for
how to control expiry etc.):

        <map:pipeline type="caching">
                <map:match pattern="authors">

And then include it from within the article.xsl using the cocoon:
protocol, which is used to address a pipeline in the sitemap:

        <xsl:variable name="authors"
select="document('cocoon:/authors')"/>

Resources are used when you want to include the same series of
components in more than one pipeline. I don't think a resource can do
caching: that would be up to the pipelines in which it is called.

Peter