Resolved the issue with NullPointerException during Tomcat deploy process.
It seems like putting too many files/directories in WEB-INF/classes/COB-INF
makes Tomcat fail to deploy C3 app.

I moved block root context from: context-path="classpath:/classes/COB-INF/
to some other place:
context-path="file:/anythingNotWithingCLASSPATH/COB-INF/"

And now Tomcat deploys C3 app without problems.

Greetings,
Greg