Bill Hacker wrote:
Might sound harsh, but you'd be time and money (electric bill alone) ahead to scrap that PII/450 antique.

You are absolutely right, if this were an option, I'd do it, but this is not my machine, a friend asked me to set this up as a filtering bridge for him, and I wanted to install an OS that is a) capable of powerful packet filtering, b) has good SMP support (otherwise I'd have installed OpenBSD and forget, but now that's harsh :-P). I'll convince the guy to get another machine, but TBH I'd like to try out DF in a production environment on a multiprocessor machine.