Dan

sorry to bother you again - just a little confused. So I am using JAXWS
endpoints and I added the line below to my spring.xml file and it didn't
make a difference. Do I still need to add the interceptor you mentioned
before? Your recent message implies I should be able to acheive what I want
without the additional intereceptor. I do not need to accept invalid Soap
messages - my original problem is that the validator is not complaining.
Sorry to bother you! Your help has been invaluable. here is my endpoint
configuration:

<jaxws:endpoint id="armService" implementor="#armServiceImpl" address="/"
wsdlLocation="#wsdlLocation">
    <jaxws:inInterceptors>
        <ref bean="exceptionScrubber" />
        <ref bean="serviceValidationInInterceptor" />
        <ref bean="agencyValidationInInterceptor" />
        <ref bean="usernameInterceptor" />
    </jaxws:inInterceptors>
    <jaxws:outInterceptors>
        <ref bean="mtomForceInterceptor" />
        <ref bean="serviceValidationOutInterceptor" />
    </jaxws:outInterceptors>
    <jaxws:outFaultInterceptors>
        <ref bean="mtomFaultForceInterceptor" />
    </jaxws:outFaultInterceptors>
        <jaxws:properties>
        <entry key="mtom-enabled" value="true" />
            <entry key="schema-validation-enabled" value="true" />
        </jaxws:properties>
</jaxws:endpoint>