On Thu December 3 2009 11:18:01 am Alp Timurhan Çevik wrote:
> Alas, Being operable with the recent versions of .net is not adequate for
> me.
>
> I also have to support .net 2005 etc, wcf and other stuff is not enough. Do
> you have any information regarding operability for 2005 ?

Doing a couple of googles, I see several reports of interop testing between
various soap stacks and stuff from early 2006 with WCF that tested MTOM.
Thus, I assume it's OK.   I'm not a windows person though.

>> Also, I have been examining cxf's support, and without using MTOM,
> everything is standart base 64, and the data is an inline data within the
> element. When using mtom, yes,base 64 is present, and there are not many
> differences, except the file is attached using WS-Attachment standards
> (please do correct me if I am wrong). The mime type info and other stuff
>  are really great and useful.
>
> So, if mtom may introduce some problems regarding operability, I have seen
> somewhere (could it be jaxws document ? Not sure. Could be web sphere
> something.), mtom usage could be optional, meaning that, (if I am not
> mistaken) MTOM could be enabled without worries, because not supporting
> clients would still use the base64 approach. Is this information correct ?

Well, not really.   It's optional in that you can disable/enable it.  If the
server has mtom enabled, it will always respond with mtom.   If a client
doesn't understand mtom, it will still have a problem.

> If thats the case, then no need to worry. But if I misunderstood, then
> either two versions of the same web service should be present, mtom'ed and
> not, or mtom should be left completely.

On option COULD be to add an interceptor to the server that would detect the
client (User-Agent header maybe) and turn on/off mtom depending on the client.

Not sure how reliable that would be though.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org