I discovered my problem..  I had some zombie java processes running on port
9000, and they were taking priority over the new processes.

However, I think the server example should somehow warn the user that the
server is unable to bind to the port and fail, somehow.  Instead, it just
carries on and reports like nothing is wrong.

Ian