Thanks for the help, I am still trying to get this to work.

With using the ByteArrayDataSource, we are not getting the NPE any more, but
the DataHandler doesn't get serialized, it acts as though it is empty.

One quick question, because I got more information about this code.  We are
proxying a third party service we use that sends us the pdf/tiff as base64
encoded already.

Is it worth decoding it only to include into a DataHandler and use it with
MTOM, or should we just leave it as base64 encoded String and send it
through to our client that way (ignoring MTOM)?  That's why the sample code
has use doing a Base64.decode to convert the base64 String into a byte
array.