Your endpoint configuration looks fine to me. For example, here is a
(non-STS) endpoint with a custom UsernameToken Validator:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/services/sts/systests/advanced/src/test/resources/org/apache/cxf/systest/sts/usernametoken/cxf-service.xml?view=markup

Could you check what is happening when WSS4J hits the UsernameToken in the
security header (UsernameTokenProcessor). What Validator instance is it

Colm.