On 14/07/2023 16:30, Brian Wolfe wrote:
Well from my experience in the industry OpenDS has had a huge impact on the
industry as its the root product for Oracle, ForgeRock and Ping today. I
have been working with all three of them.

It makes total sense as OpenDS was a replacement for SunDS. BigCos were using it, so they kept going. "When it works, don't try to fix it..."

They have customized it suit
their specific integrations, but they have expanded its capabilities to be
much more than just an identity store. Every client I have had over the
past 10 years has had some version of OpenDS backing up their IAM
implementations.

And I don't think either OpenLDAP or ApacheDS would be a replacement for those guys: too risky, too complex to replace, too many things to change to get it working...

And now each of those companies offers some form of it for
containerized deployments. We don't hear much about directory servers
because its the backend of so many systems. But I know from experience that
a lot of companies have both Active Directory and some form of OpenDS these
days. And the modern versions are very scalable.

That being said I would really like to see a real opensource and free LDAP
based on Java out there that could compete with those 3 big companies. I'd
be willing to help do some development. I would just have learn that list
you mentioned before. And focus on specific areas.

You are *very* welcome !

I can drive you through the code if needed :-)

--
*Emmanuel Lécharny - CTO* 205 Promenade des Anglais – 06200 NICE
T. +33 (0)4 89 97 36 50