On 5 Feb 2014, at 06:22, Erik Schnetter <schnet...@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2014, at 23:31 , Frank Loeffler <kn...@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 10:39:23PM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>>> I have implemented option 4, since it is the only one that works with our
>>> current infrastructure (Cactus and GetComponents).
>>
>> This now included Boost, a thorn with a source size alone of half a
>> Gigabyte. I don't think this was really intended, at least not at this
>> point where the complete source is still included in the thorn.
>
> I added download lines for all thorns mentioned in our thorn list.
>
> The compressed source code itself has only about 70 MByte. The remainder is
> git repository "overhead", i.e. previous Boost versions. Maybe cleaning the
> git repository would help?

Hi,

As far as I remember, Boost is not part of the ET, as it hasn't yet been agreed
that it should be added, or in what form (maybe I missed it?).  There is a
ticket about this, but no conclusion about whether the vote happened or not
(https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1410).  The minutes of the 8th August
meeting do not mention it.  I think the discussion started briefly at the end
of a later telecon but there was not enough time, and it hasn't been brought up
again.  Specifically, I think the major objection to Boost is its size, which
can be ameliorated by changing the way the repository is structured, or the way
that external thorns work (e.g. downloading the library tarball when needed,
rather than on checkout).  The toolkit is only supposed to contain components
which have been agreed on.  Since Boost is not yet (as far as I know) part of
the toolkit, I don't think it should be downloaded with the toolkit by default.
 It should be commented out in the thornlist, so that users can add it back in
if they want, until we agree on whether it should be included, and in what form.

--
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder