Tim,

I see you are using DynamicImport-Package to force visibility of the
implementation class by the FooFactory in the API bundle.

This is very dangerous. Your API bundle is going out and finding
exported classes from ANY bundle which happen to implement the Foo
interface as listed in the META-INF/services contents, but there is no
guarantee that the implementation class will actually implement the
same Foo interface. There may be other versions of the interface
around, for example. Also, ServiceLoader provides no help with dynamic
availability of services, therefore you will have to introduce
start-up ordering amongst all the bundles, which leads to extreme
fragility (and, eventually, un-resolvable circular start-up order
dependencies).

The ServiceLoader mechanism performs scanning of the "classpath" and
can therefore be used for a limited degree of extensibility in a
traditional classpath-based Java application. It is not in my opinion
suitable for use in a modular system. On the other hand you can
certainly use it within bundles, as bundles internally have a
classpath consisting of (potentially) multiple JARs.

I strongly encourage you to look into the OSGi Services model, which
is conceptually as simple as ServiceLoader but is far less fragile and
can be used across multiple bundles.

Regards,
Neil