freemarker and gwt are just examples..

Let's say I have a maven module that depends on:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>mysql</groupId>
            <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
            <version>5.1.9</version>
        </dependency>

To make the dependency work in the osgi bundle, I had to:
                        <Import-Package>
                            *;resolution:=optional
                        </Import-Package>
                        <Embed-Dependency>
                            mysql-connector-java;scope=compile|runtime
                        </Embed-Dependency>

I tried various combinations of maven-bundle-plugin.. but I only found the
above working.

My intuition is:

1. List <dependency>s that are not provided (<scope> isn't provided).
2. List them under Embed-Dependency.
3. Import-Package *;resolution:=optional
4. If things don't work, add <Embed-Transitive>true</Embed-Transitive>

Or, like you mentioned, you can decipher
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
and look at the source code for maven-bundle-plugin.

It's pretty simple. It's Java. (sarcasm).