Renato,

Thanks for the response.  You actually made me feel a lot better about
myself!  I have been struggling to understand how to use OSGi (and
continue to).  It's not what I thought it was when I started out; it is
indeed low-level - much lower level than I anticipated.  I do intend to
move on to using Blueprint but I've inherited this project and it is
using OSGi at this low level right now.  And I've been reading both
"OSGi In Action" and "Enterprise OSGi In Action".

I've solved my main problem.  The advice that I've been given here was
well-intentioned but it seemed to be predicated on the idea that the
code consuming the RepositoryAdmin service was in a bundle, which it was
not.  I'm trying to access a RepositoryAdmin from my non-bundle app
code.  I solved the ClassCastException issue by adding the
'org.apache.felix.bundlerepository' package to the
FRAMEWORK_SYSTEMPACKAGES_EXTRA string.  I got the idea from here:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedding.html#ApacheFelixFrameworkLaunchingandEmbedding-hostserviceusage.

But now I have another problem: the RepositoryAdmin service reference is
null.  I've installed and started the Felix bundle repository bundle.
I'm not sure what else to do.  Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
Tim