I am starting a new project and was intending to write it in ActionScript and
Flex, but then I came across Haxe, whose promoters make these claims:

Faster & more optimized than the Flex compiler and easier to use and setup than
the Flex SDK
Due to inlining, generics and general compiler optimizations, Haxe can generate
SWFs with much better performance than the current Flex compiler.

Haxe SWFs are fully compatible with Flex & Flash
You can load a Haxe SWF into one made by Flash or Flex or vice-versa, without
any troubles.

Support an AS3 userbase via SWC Export
Using the SWC Export feature you can generate an SWC. This can then be loaded
by Flex. This will allow library makers to use Haxe for its great features,
while still supporting their AS3 user-base.

Access Alchemy OpCodes
There are OpCodes for memory allocation hidden in the SWF player which are used
by Adobe Alchemy. Haxe has the ability to access them giving you low level
memory access which can allow HUGE speed increases.

Access the PixelBender Assembly
Using low level functions you can control PixelBender directly.

Simple lightweight video streaming and recording using HaxeVideo
HaxeVideo can serve streaming video over the RTMP protocol.

I have limited experience in Flex and ActionScript so I can't evaluate this
objectively.  Has anyone got a perspective on this question: "Why use Haxe" (or
not)?

Thanks.
~Brian