On 4/28/2014 8:52 PM, Adam Malejko wrote:
Long time Flex developer and lurker; never posted - never needed to.

I finally got the go-ahead to upgrade to Flash Builder 4.7 premium a little
while ago, along with upgrading to the latest Apache Flex SDK. Little did I
know that the Flash Builder upgrade was not technically possible. I have v3
and v4.5 premium keys (yet use v4.6), but no v4 premium or v4.5 standard
key which would technically work to upgrade from.

So after chatting and talking to Adobe representatives, I believe it's time
to look at my options.

1) Does anyone know how I can possibly upgrade to v4.7 without having to
buy the full $699 v4.7 license? $49 to upgrade from v4 sounds great! Even
$499 isn't terrible, but after sticking with them for this long I am being
forced to buy the full version for $699? Really? In the buying guide [1],
you see that "n/a" in there? That's me. SOL.

Flash Builder 4.7 used to be a complimentary upgrade from 4.5/4.6 ( http://www.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/flashbuilder47_upgade.html ) but it looks like they discontinued that. How odd.

I bet that is the reason you can't upgrade from 4.5 premium to 4.7 premium on their web site. They discontinued one thing w/o adding an option.

2) I've used Flash Builder for many years now and haven't really looked at
the other options until recently. How do IntelliJ IDEA, FDT and
Flashdevelop compare from a developers perspective? I'm only starting to
write mobile apps which triggered the update from the Adobe SDK.

I love IntelliJ. Although, I have never used it for Flex/Flash. But, it is great for HTML stuff and for other stuff.

3) Should I just install the Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder 4.6? Will
that work for mobile apps?
I have used Apache Flex w/ Flash Builder w/o issues. It hink there was a minor issue fixed in 4.7 that had to do with files moving from html-template to bin-debug.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur