Thanks Mark, if I'm reading those links correctly, you need SDK 4.13 to build
that functionality, but only Flash Player 10 to deploy it, correct?

I'm currently still using the 4.6 SDK, because I don't want my users to have
to upgrade anything beyond Player 11.1.

I'll look into 4.13 again, because I'm curious to see how a Spark Datagrid
with locking rows and columns compares to an MX Datagrid, however, I've not
found a way to use SDK 4.13 without also changing the minimum player
requirements.

Given that I don't actually use any of the more recent features of the Flash
Player (which all seem to be Media/Video related), it would be nice to be
able to use a more recent SDK version, but target an earlier player.

Ideally the compiler would be able to tell, at compile time, whether the
targeted player supports the actual functionality being compiled, however,
I'm not sure it can do that ?

One way to do that would be to break the sdk into modules, each with it's
own minimum dependencies, something like NPM in the Node world, or Leiningen
in the Clojure world.

David