For Spark DataGrid, this is what I do:

selectionMode="{GridSelectionMode.NONE}" caretIndicator="{null}"
selectionIndicator="{null}"
selectionChanging="dataGrid_selectionChangingHandler(event)"

protected function
dataGrid_selectionChangingHandler(event:GridSelectionEvent):void
{
  event.preventDefault();
}

I have a column with a checkbox which indicates if the row is selected or
not.  You might have to modify it a little bit to suit your case.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Om