So I made an interesting observation.  I completely removed the transitions
from the application, and just changed the visible property of each
component.  Now when the user clicks a button it changes the visible
property of the component instead of having it slide onto the screen.  Even
with this change, Scout was reporting a delay around 2600ms for the
component to appear. So I don't believe the transition is the bottleneck
here.

I feel a little silly, but it actually didn't occur to me for some reason.
I left the two lists in the component that slides into the application
intact, but I simply removed the dataprovider from both.  This way, I knew
that an itemrenderer would not be created. That reduced the button click
time to about 130ms.  MUCH BETTER!  I hope I am not being presumptuous, but
this says to me that the itemrenderer must be the bottleneck.  This is the
first mobile app that I have ever written, so I basically only have one
question for those with more experience.  Does an actionscript itemrenderer
perform significantly faster than an mxml itemrenderer on mobile?  If it
does, I am tempted to take the plunge and try my best to figure out how to
do it.  Thanks for your thoughts.